Saturday, May 27, 2006

Companionship from an unexpected source

Her name was Pricilla. She was a hooded white rat and she was the sweetest pet we were ever to own. If someone had told me that I would have allowed my sons to bring home a rat for a pet, I would have laughed out loud.

It started with, "Mom, the teacher wants us to watch one of the classroom pets this summer. Can we? Pleeeeease?" I forgot to ask specifically what kind, and they conveniently forgot to tell me. I just assumed gerbil, hamster or guinea pig -- the normal classroom pet.

She looked up at me with the darkest eyes, beautifully clothed in long curly eyelashes. Her head was all black and her body was white. Hence the named hooded white rat. I didn't care how pretty she looked. A rat is a rat and nothing could change that. So, I said NO, NO, NO! She will stay only until another student can take her. NOT a minute longer! And remember to lock her cage door!

She was no trouble, almost as if she was trying to blend into the background so she could stay. The boys seemed to take care of her without being reminded, too. I should have suspected then, but I didn't. Any reminders, "Who have you found to take her?" were always answered, "We're trying, Mom, but they are leaving on vacation and their mom says NO!" Somehow, I felt I was losing the battle.

She was extremely clean and even sweet smelling! I hadn't held her yet. NO one was going to see me hold a rat! But, the boys would sneak up behind me and hold her to my ear and she would gently tickle me with those black whiskers.

She had a personality and taught me that love comes in many baskets.

What had happened to me? Did a black hooded mother rat teach me to love all of God's creatures no matter what?

...never be too quick to judge...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home