Friday, August 05, 2005

Rats and Chocolate

Rat & Mouse Gazette: Chocolate and Rats: "Working as a veterinary technician in a practice that has numerous rat and mouse owners as clients I am often asked if chocolate is toxic to their pets.

My initial reaction was to apply the same guidelines we use for dogs to murines (rats and mice), but then became curious if there were any actual studies doneon these species which would give specifics. First, it is important to understand what is toxic about chocolate in species that are susceptible to chocolate poisoning. It is the theobromine in chocolate which in large amounts has diuretic effects, relaxes smooth muscles, and stimulates the heart and central nervous system. Caffeine has a greater effect on the central nervous system and is also found in small amounts in chocolate. Pharmacologically, theobromine is included in a group of naturally occurring methylxanthine alkaloids along with caffeine, theophylline, and the synthetics, aminophylline and etamiphylline. Relative to other methylxanthines, theobromine is pharmacologically weak. Theobromine, as well as other drugs mentioned do have therapeutic effects when given at the proper dosage and are used in the treatment of respiratory diseases and heart disease.

I have treated my own rat with aminophylline (dose prescribed by my veterinarian) when in the final stages of Mycoplasmosis. This is a bronchial dilator and did offer her some relief. I had a necropsy done atWashington State University and they found no side effects from the aminophylline treatment. Theobromine is found in higher concentration in unsweetened baker's chocolate (15mg/g) than in milk chocolate (1.5 mg/g). White chocolate is low enough in both theobromine and caffeine and would be unlikely to cause poisoning."

My conclusion is that an occasional, small piece of chocolate is certainly not going to kill my rats and I know they really enjoy it. Chocolate has no nutritional value for me either, but I hope no one denies me my Almond Joy! I think the important aspect is for the owner to use common sense when giving this treat, just as in feeding your rats in general. They must be given a complete, nutritious diet. I feel you have a higher likelihood of losing your pet to Mycoplasmosis, or to tumors than to chocolate toxicity.

These are 2 of my favourite things...Rats and Chocolate...in that order.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home